Transition Sunday

Today is known as "Transition Sunday" in Western North Carolina.  In United Methodist churches with new pastors, it is a Sunday break before things kick-off for the first full week in the office and the first Sunday in the pulpit on July 15th.

I remember the old days when you moved on a Tuesday and entered the pulpit on Sunday, and there was not much of a chance to catch a breath.

Today has been one to breathe.

I got up early as I do most Sundays, got dressed and drove around the community a bit before showing up at Denver UMC for their 8:15 am service.

There are at least a dozen (or more) United Methodist Churches in the communities surrounding us that you can drive to in 10-15 minutes.  I passed a couple of our churches on the way to Denver.

It makes you stop and think, "How do folks make the choice to attend one church over another when there are so many close by?"

I met a few folks at Denver this morning that drive past my new church to get to their church. What goes into that choice?

I was warmly welcomed at 8:00 am by a team of greeters who learned my name and introduced me to others--one of them a brother to one of our active members (careful in these parts, folks can be related).

I got to see Steve Autrey before the service, and he was glad to see me there. He preached on the theme: "Say What?" (questions from children).  He even surprised me during the service and introduced me to the congregation and prayed over me.  It was a grand welcome to the community. 

I finished at Denver by 9:15 am and headed home, driving by Rehobeth to see the parking lot full of cars for the early service (the first time I had ever seen that many cars on the property).  Our lay leader, Cheryl Hamby, led services today.  I offered prayers for her during the morning, and thought to myself--"Ready or not, you are up next week."

I came home sipped some coffee, read some news, watched my cats, and breathed.

Tomorrow is the first official day in the office.  Next week will be busy.  There are new folks to meet, a sermon to prepare, a couple of meetings and a bunch to learn before that first Sunday in the pulpit.

Thanks God (and the WNC Conference) for a Sunday to rest, to reflect, and to retool for the adventure ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camping and Camp Meeting

What does "Welcome" look like?

Labor Day Weekend